Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World

Trump Says He’s “Considering” Limited Strike on Iran as Draft Nuclear Deal Looms Following Geneva Talks

Trump
Photo: Donald Trump/X

US President Donald Trump on Friday said that he is considering a limited military strike on Iran following a major US naval buildup in the Middle East. The move is intended to pressure Tehran into reaching a deal on its nuclear program.

Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump said, “I guess I can say I am considering that,” when asked about the possibility of a limited strike. He also reiterated that a decision on military action could come within 10 to 15 days, leaving open the option for a negotiated deal with Iran.

Iran Signals Progress on Draft Deal

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said that a draft proposal for an agreement with the United States could be ready within days, following talks in Geneva earlier this week. “I believe in the next two, three days, that would be ready, and after final confirmation by my superiors, it would be handed over to Steve Witkoff,” he told US media, referring to Trump’s lead Middle East negotiator.

Araghchi stressed that US officials have not demanded a halt to Iran’s nuclear enrichment, contradicting statements from American officials. “We have not offered any suspension, and the US side has not asked for zero enrichment. What we are now talking about is how to make sure that Iran’s nuclear program, including enrichment, is peaceful and would remain peaceful forever,” he said.

He also rejected the notion of an ultimatum, saying, “We only talk with each other how we can have a fast deal. Any day sanctions are terminated sooner, it would be better for us.”

Military Tensions Escalate

The United States has been escalating its military presence in the Middle East. The aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln is already in the Gulf, while a second carrier, USS Gerald Ford, is en route. Iranian naval forces have conducted drills in the Gulf and around the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic chokepoint for global oil trade.

The Strait of Hormuz handles more than 14 million barrels of oil and condensates per day, roughly a third of worldwide seaborne oil exports, with around three-quarters destined for China, India, Japan, and South Korea. Traders are concerned that any conflict could disrupt oil flows, though US crude and Brent oil prices remained relatively stable Friday.

Israel has also placed its military on defensive alert in response to the growing tensions, while Iranian officials warned that US bases and assets could become legitimate targets if Washington proceeds with military action.

Background

The latest escalation follows initial talks in Oman on February 6, the first since previous negotiations collapsed during the 12-day Iran-Israel war last June, which included US strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities. Washington has been pressing for zero enrichment and addressing Iran’s ballistic missile program and support for regional militant groups, while Iran seeks sanctions relief to ease economic hardships that have fueled nationwide protests.

Trump has repeatedly warned that “bad things” could happen if Tehran does not reach a deal, adding that a limited strike would be “far worse” than the June attacks on Iran’s nuclear sites.

You May Also Like

World

In a landmark ruling on Friday, February 20, 2026, the United States Supreme Court declared that President Donald Trump exceeded his authority in imposing...

India

Senior Congress leader Jairam Ramesh on Monday launched a sharp attack on Prime Minister Narendra Modi, accusing him of giving up India’s strategic independence...

India

US President Donald Trump has spoken to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the United States ambassador to India Sergio Gor confirmed on Monday, as trade...

India

US President Donald Trump on Tuesday claimed that he prevented a war between India and Pakistan during the first year of his second term,...

Copyright © 2025 The Observer Post. All Rights Reserved.