A 32-year-old Muslim man allegedly died by suicide in West Bengal after his name was removed from the electoral rolls following the Special Intensive Revision (SIR) exercise, police said on Monday.
The deceased has been identified as Anarul Sheikh, a resident of Nalhati in Birbhum district. According to police, he was under severe mental stress after discovering that his name had been deleted from the voter list after the publication of the supplementary electoral roll.
Stress Over Voter List Deletion
Family members alleged that Anarul Sheikh consumed poison after returning home, unable to cope with the pressure. He was immediately taken to a local health centre and later referred to another hospital, but he died on the way.
“He was very disturbed after his name was removed. He had submitted all documents and still did not get any clarity,” a family member said.
Locals said that his name had earlier been marked “under adjudication” during the SIR process. Following official instructions, he had reportedly visited the Rampurhat Subdivisional Office to file an appeal and submit documents.
According to the family, Sheikh collapsed at the office due to stress during the process. “He went there with hope, but came back shattered,” a relative claimed.
Anger Among Villagers
The incident has triggered outrage in the area, with villagers accusing the authorities of arbitrarily deleting names without proper verification.
“Common people are suffering because of this. Names are being removed without proper checks,” a local resident said. Another villager added, “If this continues, we will boycott the elections.”
Residents of the area also claimed that many people have been put under scrutiny or had their names removed despite submitting valid documents. They alleged that the process has created fear and uncertainty among voters.
Questions Over SIR Process
The Special Intensive Revision (SIR) exercise has already come under scrutiny in the state, with allegations that large numbers of voters have been placed under “adjudication” or removed from the rolls.
Locals said such actions are putting ordinary people under immense stress. “Because of this pressure, innocent people are losing their lives,” one resident alleged.
The deceased is survived by two young sons, and his death has left the entire locality in mourning.
Police Action Underway
Police said the body has been sent for postmortem examination, and further investigation is underway to ascertain the exact circumstances of the death.
Officials have not yet issued a detailed statement on the allegations made by the family and villagers regarding the voter list deletion.




