Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

India

Assam Govt Evicts 350 Families from Golaghat Forest, Over 1,000 Bighas Cleared

Goalpara Muslim Assam

The Assam government on Sunday carried out another phase of its eviction drive, clearing nearly 1,000 bighas of forest land in Golaghat district. More than 350 families were displaced from the Nambor South Reserve Forest as the administration claimed the land had been illegally encroached upon.

This comes just a day after the government completed a five-day long eviction operation in the Rengma Reserve Forest, where nearly 11,000 bighas of land were cleared. That earlier drive had displaced about 1,500 families, most of whom belonged to the Muslim community, near the Assam-Nagaland border in Sarupathar sub-division.

On Sunday, the fresh drive took place in areas of Gelajan and No. 3 Rajapukhuri. An official statement said the eviction was carried out peacefully and without resistance, crediting proper coordination among the departments involved.

Senior government officials, including Special Chief Secretary (Forest) M.K. Yadav, Golaghat Deputy Commissioner Pulak Mahanta, and Superintendent of Police Rajen Singh, were present to ensure the eviction followed legal procedures.

“This eviction is part of a broader plan to restore forest land and protect the environment,” the government’s statement said, calling it an effort to reclaim areas from illegal occupation. The authorities said the drive will continue in the coming days.

The eviction drive is being jointly conducted by the Assam Forest Department, Golaghat District Administration, Assam Police, CRPF, and the Nagaland government.

Meanwhile, notices have also been served to 205 families living in the Negheribil area under Merapani, inside the Doyang Reserve Forest. Their eviction is expected to begin on August 8.

You May Also Like

India

Mohammed Shami has been one of India’s most consistent bowlers across formats, with 229 wickets in 64 Tests, 206 in 108 ODIs, and 27...

India

Bihar Police on Friday arrested a 20-year-old man for allegedly shouting abusive slogans against Prime Minister Narendra Modi during Congress leader Rahul Gandhi’s Voter...

India

Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat on Tuesday (26 August) said that shared cultural and ancestral traditions have bound people across the Indian...

Dalits and Adivasis

In Betadih village of Barhani block, Chandauli, Uttar Pradesh, a road meant to connect a Dalit colony to the main road has been left...

Copyright © 2025 The Observer Post. All Rights Reserved.