Rajasthan Police have registered an FIR against five people after two Dalit men alleged that they were subjected to caste-based abuse and forced to vacate chairs during an Independence Day programme at a government school in Bhakliya village of Bhilwara district.
The alleged incident took place on August 15 during the Independence Day function at the government school under the Bagor police station area. The complaint was filed by Rameshwarlal Bairwa, 35, and Gopilal Bairwa, 37, both residents of Bhakliya and members of the Scheduled Caste community.
Dalit Men Allegedly Asked to Sit on Ground
According to the FIR, the two complainants were sitting on chairs with other members of their community when five men allegedly objected to them sitting on chairs and used caste-based remarks.
The accused have been identified as Balu Vaishnav, Heeralal Sharma, Narayan Jat, Rameshwar Jat and Prakash Jat, all residents of Bhakliya.
The complainants alleged that they were told to sit on the ground and were questioned about how they could sit on chairs alongside members of other communities.
“We were sitting on the chairs placed there during the programme when some people approached us and discriminated against us because of our caste,” the complainants alleged in their complaint.
They further alleged that the accused intimidated and threatened them and forcibly made them leave the chairs when they refused to move.
Rameshwarlal told The Indian Express that people usually sat on the ground during the annual programme, but chairs had been arranged this year and a teacher had invited them to sit on them.
“The entire case is that we sat on chairs. Every year, all of us sit on the ground. But this time, there were chairs and the teacher invited us to sit on them which led to some people objecting to us,” he said.
Incident Allegedly Took Place in Front of Children
The complainants said the alleged incident took place in the presence of schoolchildren, teachers and other villagers, causing them humiliation and mental distress.

A video of a verbal altercation at the school has also surfaced. In the footage, children can be seen sitting on the ground while adults argue nearby.
A school faculty member told The Times of India that the school administration attempted to intervene and told those present that everyone was equal and should attend the programme.
The complainants also alleged that the accused threatened to shut down the local Anganwadi centre, where two women from the Scheduled Caste community work as an Anganwadi worker and helper.
Police Register Case Under SC/ST Act
Police registered the case under relevant provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989.
The investigation has been handed over to Deputy Superintendent of Police Rahul Joshi.
Bagor police station SHO Bachhraj Choudhary said the investigation was underway.
The complainants said they had audio and video recordings of the alleged incident and were prepared to provide the material to police as part of the investigation.
Police are examining the allegations, available video evidence and statements from people who were present at the Independence Day programme.






