Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

India

Delhi’s Centuries-Old Hindu-Muslim Unity Festival “Phool Walon Ki Sair” Cancelled for First Time in Over Six Decades

Phool Walon Ki Sair

Delhi’s historic “Phool Walon Ki Sair” festival will not be held this year, marking the first cancellation in more than six decades. The festival, which celebrates the city’s shared culture and communal harmony, could not take place because the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) did not grant permission for its traditional venue at Aam Bagh in Mehrauli. Organisers cited confusion over land ownership between the DDA and the Forest Department as the reason for the delay, saying it left them with no choice but to cancel the event.

Vinod Vatsa, vice-president of the Anjuman Sair-e-Gul Faroshan, which manages the festival, said, “Tired of the wrangling, we decided not to hold the festival this year.” The event, which began in 1812 during the reign of Mughal Emperor Akbar Shah II, was revived by Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru in 1961 and has been celebrated annually ever since. Traditionally, it includes processions, music, wrestling, kabaddi, painting competitions, and floral offerings at both the dargah of Sufi saint Khwaja Bakhtiar Kaki and the nearby Yogmaya Temple, symbolising Hindu-Muslim unity.

Delhi Congress criticised the cancellation, calling it a “direct assault on the city’s shared cultural identity and communal harmony.” Congress spokesperson Naresh Kumar said, “‘Phool Walon Ki Sair’ is not merely an annual fair; it is the soul of Delhi’s heritage and a living symbol of Hindu-Muslim unity.” He demanded that Chief Minister Rekha Gupta explain the reasons for the cancellation and ensure the festival is reinstated promptly.

Organisers noted that pollution levels in Delhi also complicate planning for outdoor events, and they suggested that if permission is granted, the festival could be held in March 2026. Last year, the festival was almost disrupted when DDA withdrew permission at the last minute, prompting organisers to start preparations early this year, but the issue could not be resolved.

Historically, the festival began when Queen Mumtaz Mahal Begum, mother of Prince Mirza Jahangir, promised to offer a floral ‘chaadar’ at the dargah of Khwaja Bakhtiar Kaki if her exiled son was released. The tradition continued under subsequent rulers, including Bahadur Shah Zafar, and was eventually revived post-independence as a celebration of Delhi’s secular and pluralistic heritage. This year’s cancellation is therefore seen as a major break in a centuries-old tradition that has long symbolised the city’s spirit of coexistence.

You May Also Like

India

The Dev Bhoomi Sangharsh Samiti has been on a hunger strike for the past ten days demanding the demolition of the Sanjauli mosque in...

India

Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra have announced that Aadhaar cards will no longer be accepted as the only proof of birth or proof of date...

India

The Dalit community of Bijnu Bijnad village in Uttarakhand’s remote Jaunsar-Bawar region has taken a historic step by electing its own ‘Syana’, or village...

India

The union government is planning a full-day discussion on ‘Vande Mataram’ during the Winter Session of Parliament, which begins on December 1. Senior officials...

Copyright © 2025 The Observer Post. All Rights Reserved.