Six people described by Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma as “illegal infiltrators” were prevented from entering India through Assam’s South Salmara district, the chief minister said.
According to Sarma, the six people were detected on the night of Friday, August 21, while allegedly attempting to enter India.
“6 illegal infiltrators were detected and prevented from entering India. Assam is alert. Illegal entry will be detected and stopped,” Sarma said in a post on X on Saturday night.
The chief minister also shared photographs of the six people, with their faces covered.
No further details about their identities or the exact circumstances in which they were detected were immediately available.
Assam Steps Up Border Vigil
The latest incident comes days after another group was stopped from entering Assam.
On August 20, Sarma said 17 people attempting to cross into Assam from Bangladesh had been intercepted by the state police.
“No Kaagaz No Entry! In an alert and pro-active move by @assampolice, 17 illegal infiltrators were identified and prevented from entering India, in the wee hours,” Sarma said in a social media post.
“Our doors are open to those who come legally. For illegal entrants, there is only one way – BACK,” he added.
Sarma did not identify the exact location where the 17 people were intercepted.
Assam Maintains Border Checks
Assam shares a long international border with Bangladesh and has increased monitoring of movement across the border.
The state operates an integrated check post at Sribhumi and a land customs station at Mankachar.
The latest claims by the chief minister come amid continued political and administrative focus on alleged illegal migration and border security in Assam.






